Diabetes across North America is on the rise and will continue to do so throughout the years. According to the American Diabetes Association, the diagnosis of diabetes from 1988 to 2014 has increased by 382%.
There are various methods to control diabetes, but it is dependent on the type of diabetes is how you can effectively manage it. The main way to control diabetes, especially type 2 is through diet and exercising. However, in addition to this, there are some studies that suggest cannabis can effectively treat diabetes by normalizing blood sugar.
This seems contradictory because marijuana is definitely known to give you the munchies in which in turn can increase your blood sugar levels. However, a study showed promising results for diabetics. It was conducted to determine the impact of marijuana use on glucose, insulin, and insulin resistance among US adults.
Findings showed that out of 579 current marijuana users, showed there were 16% lower fasting insulin levels and 17% lower insulin resistance than non-marijuana users.
This is promising to say that cannabis can in-fact help diabetics manage their blood sugar levels. In addition, cannabis is found to prevent many diabetic complicated problems such as neuropathy.
What Is THCV?
THCV is a psychoactive cannabinoid found most prevalently in sativa strains of cannabis. It activates the CB1 and CB2 receptors of the body and effectively blocks THC. So instead of making you hungry and high, it does quite the opposite which aids in weight loss, the way we metabolize fats and the production of beta cells, which make insulin. This is especially important for type 2 diabetics as the main cause of type 2 is obesity.
There are some marijuana strains that are specifically created with high levels of THCV. Below are the top 5 choices.
Top 5 Marijuana Strains that contain THCV
- Doug’s Varin – A sativa strain, it is very rare and hard to find. This strain was specifically created to maintain high levels of THCV. It is mentally stimulating and produces a euphoric effect when taken at the right dosage.
- Durban’s Poison – A sativa strain with high levels of THCV It also provides an energetic and uplifting feeling.
- Girl Scout Cookies – A hybrid mixed with Durban’s poison and OG Kush that provides an all over relaxing effect to the mind and body.
- Pineapple Purps – A sativa dominant strain that gives you energy and helps stimulate the creative mind.
- Jack the Ripper- A sativa hybrid that provides an uplifting feeling and a fast action psychedelic.
Some of the strains above are rare and hard to find and we are just scratching the surface of THCV and the potential it holds, but as more research is conducted on this cannabinoid, the more it will readily be available to patients.